Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Timing belt replacement 1999 Metro 1.3L / Timing mark alignment; Replacing broken timing belt 1999 Metro 1.3L
Topic Started: Mar 18 2011, 09:22 PM (8,432 Views)
1999ChevyMetroLSI
[ *  * ]
Help Please?? I have a 1999 Chevy Metro LSI 1.3L 4cyl and the timing belt snapped while driving. I would appreciate any help with figuring out the timing marks and how the are supposed to be lined up. I replaced the water pump already and have the timing cover removed. The thing I am having a problem with is I have 2 timing marks on the camshaft sprocket. One has an I near the outer edge of the sprocket with an E close to the bolt that holds the cam sprocket on and then one has an E near the outer edge of the Cam sprocket. Which one am I supposed to line up with the V on the rear cover behind the Cam sprocket? It ran great until the belt snapped and I have tried to set the Cam on both timing marks and it still will not start. I thought I might have it 180 degrees out so I cranked the engine over one turn and tried it again. I have tried replacing the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor since it does not have a distributor. It is trying to start on every crank of the engine but will not start. Do you think I have bent some valves? I'm not sure if it's an interference engine or not. I know small block chevy engines like the back of my hand but this is my first 1.3L Metro and I am lost. I bought a repair manual but it does not show the 2 timing marks on the camshaft sprocket so I have no clue how it should go. Any and all help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DUG

http://geometroforum.com/single/?p=295571&t=3519698

1999ChevyMetroLSI
[ *  * ]
It looks like the E on the outer edge of the cam sprocket lines up with the V notch on the rear cover and the I with the E near the center bolt is at about 5 o'clock range. Does that sound right to you? I appreciate the help with the link. Do you know if these engines bend valves when the timing belt breaks like my Nissan 300 Z does? Is the 1.3L an interference engine? Thanks again!

DUG

Non interference motors. I had a 98 and I set it up just like the pic. I have the 1.0 now - a little easier to work on. Good luck.

1999ChevyMetroLSI
[ *  * ]
Thanks! I will try that first thing in the morning. Thank goodness its not an interference engine. I been down that road too many times with my Nissan's. I appreciate the info. Have a good one and I will post the results after I get finished tomorrow.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Whichever one makes the camshaft drive pin point straight down at the crankshaft.

1999ChevyMetroLSI
[ *  * ]
Hey guys I found out what the issue is. I replaced water pump and timing belt and set timing marks as described in the diagram and it still wouldn't start. I took off the valve cover and saw the problem. It was only turning half the camshaft so I removed the caps that hold the camshaft in place and then I saw my camshaft is broken in half right in the middle. I removed the camshaft and noticed it has destroyed the middle journal #3. It had stopped up the oil hole with metal shavings and ground the cam into the head journal and it is totally destroyed . The rest of the journals look fine with no scratches or marks. I need a new head and camshaft. Anyone know where I can get a low mileage used or reman'd head that includes the camshaft? I appreciate your input and help. Thanks!

1999 Chevy Metro LSI - 1.3L- 4cylinder, Auto, 16v Single overhead cam

me and my metro

When you get it back together use the "I" mark. This puts the dowel straight down like Woodie said.

1999ChevyMetroLSI
[ *  * ]
It has 2 dowel pins in the camshaft gear. The diagram I was told to use shows to line up the E with the V in the back cover and put the I at 5 o'clock. I will try it both ways if needed. Thats no problem. It's pretty simple to figure out once I read my chilton's book and with all the good tech info from other members.. I just have to find a head and camshaft now.

me and my metro

The dowel needs to be straight down. The "E" will advance the cam 4 degrees And the "I" will leave the cam timing at 0. There is only one dowel pin but there are two ways the gear can go on. Look for the pin. :)

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Contact this guy and he might have something.............
http://geometroforum.com/profile/520482/
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1999ChevyMetroLSI
[ *  * ]
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help with parts locator and tech information. I will get it going again soon.

fourmile
[ *  * ]
hi new to forum, i think i got the same engine 1999 1.3, i tried all day today to time it after a head gasket job, my haynes only shows 1.0l. nothing about letter E on cam gear. going to get some sleep and take pic's tomorrow, prolly be back here lookin for help.
thanks

Woodie
Member Avatar

Should look like this:

Posted Image

The important bit is, use whatever mark makes the cam sprocket locating pin point straight down toward the crankshaft.

3tech
Member Avatar

The E is the standard setting. The I is 4 degrees retarded.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply