Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fixed my plugged heater core today!! Super Easy!!
Topic Started: Dec 26 2010, 12:12 AM (20,151 Views)
1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

Wow!!
I thought I would pass this along, seeing as how there are quite a few people that are having problems with their heaters in there Metros.
Last week I had finally come to the conclusion that I needed to pull my heater core and replace it, but low and behold, I mentioned it at the junkyard that I frequent quite often, and I was given a suggestion before spending the 4-8 hour job of pulling the dash to do it. :banghead :rasp
I still can't believe it was this easy: :hmm
Clamp the 2 hoses that come from the heater core on the firewall,(so you don't lose coolant) and then pull the hoses off.
Here's the Easy part, use a pressure sprayer to unclog!!! Yup, it's that easy!! Spray full pressure into the right side tube first,(as your facing the firewall from the front of the car) as that is the outlet of the heater core. You may be suprised how much crap comes out of the core, I ended up sparaying in both tubes to get it cleaned out completely.
I am absolutely astounded that it was that easy, and it took a grand total of 5 minutes to do it.
I went from absolutely NO heat, to the hottest heat I have ever had in a Metro!! :rocker :rocker
Now I realize not everyone has a pressure sprayer at home, so my suggestion is, try your local car wash.

Hope this helps someone, as it saved me the depressing job of pulling the dash, and purchasing a new heater core.

Enjoy, and let there be heat!!!!! :thumb :thumb
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

I'll need to try this as the effectiveness of my last unclogging was short lived.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rooy

When you say pressure sprayer, I'm assuming you mean pressure washer (as in 1000+ psi?).

JellyBeanDriver, you may need to flush the whole system. If the core was clogged, expect the rest of the system to have plenty of buildup, and it can simply re-deposit in the core if it all wasn't cleaned out. You may want to run a chemical flush in the system first to loosen the gunk up and then use hose pressure to flush out the radiator, engine, and heater core thoroughly.

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

Rooy
Dec 26 2010, 12:27 AM
JellyBeanDriver, you may need to flush the whole system. If the core was clogged, expect the rest of the system to have plenty of buildup, and it can simply re-deposit in the core if it all wasn't cleaned out. You may want to run a chemical flush in the system first to loosen the gunk up and then use hose pressure to flush out the radiator, engine, and heater core thoroughly.
Not positive, but I think I did my flush at the same time I changed out the radiator, along with flushing the cooling system overall.
Also replaced heater hoses as the innards were bubbling and peeling.

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

Rooy
Dec 26 2010, 12:27 AM
When you say pressure sprayer, I'm assuming you mean pressure washer (as in 1000+ psi?).

Yes, I used my 1800psi pressure sprayer and it worked wonderfully!!

I actually thought the guy was crazy when he told me this, but what did I have to lose, even if I would have blown a hole in the core, I still would have had to replace it.

Rooy

Yeah, my worry would be that too high of a pressure might rupture the core. I would think that regular hose pressure would be enough to unclog most blockages, and would be my first approach before going to the pressure washer.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

if the core is bad and your planning to replace it anyway so what?

Rooy

If it's going to be replaced for sure, then why even try to fix it? It's not completely bad and needing to be replaced, just clogged, which is fixable.

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

You mean so what in that you don't care if it starts leaking with a lot of pressure behind it inside the car?

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

Rooy
Dec 26 2010, 01:02 AM
Yeah, my worry would be that too high of a pressure might rupture the core. I would think that regular hose pressure would be enough to unclog most blockages, and would be my first approach before going to the pressure washer.
I thought the same thing, but regular pressure would have never gotten the crap out of my core.
This was done on my wifes 94, and I'm off to try this on my 92 today. I've had mine for 4 years, and the heater core is plugged on that one also. I will give everyone an update when I'm done, after I get done moving this darn snow again!!! :shake :shake

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

I did this using a garden hose, you have to use a barb and a rubber hose on the core to get a tight connection since the pressure is low, blew tons of crap out.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

ahhh thats right the core is INSIDE the car. I keep forgetting that.

in the summer not a big deal to me just drain and dry in the winter that would be a PITA :-)

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

Just got in from presssure washing the second Metro, and the outcome wasn't as good. I did get some crap out of it, but it just doesn't blow heat like the first one, although it is better. :rocker
Looks like I'm gonna have to do the dreaded dash pull on my 92 if I want really good heat.

iamgeo
Member Avatar
Is that a fact....or just a rumor?

1DCGUY, Have you tried using any chemicals to clean the heater core on the second car? Believe it or not, white vinegar will work to loosen up that crude in there. Way cheaper than store bought flush.
Just pour it into the heater core till it runs out the other side. Then let it sit preferably overnight.

Use white vinegar to clean radiator

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

iamgeo
Dec 26 2010, 06:30 PM
1DCGUY, Have you tried using any chemicals to clean the heater core on the second car? Believe it or not, white vinegar will work to loosen up that crude in there. Way cheaper than store bought flush.
Just pour it into the heater core till it runs out the other side. Then let it sit preferably overnight.

Never heard of using white vinegar, but I'm game for anything, as long as I don't have to pull the dash.
Anybody know if vinegar freeze's? It's pretty cold up here, and wouldn't want to let it freeze in the core overnight.
This may have to wait until next weekend, but I will give it a try.
Thanks for another one of those tips you just never seem to hear about,

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply