Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car battery jump starter; Which one do you like?
Topic Started: Nov 22 2010, 08:59 PM (1,431 Views)
Car Nut
Member Avatar

Tired of the cheap Chinese Jump Boxes. Looking online at a couple ones. Jump N Carry JNC 660. 1700 peak amps, 425 cranking amps. $129.00 Schumacher PSJ 2212 2200 peak, 330 cranking. $135.00. Anybody used either of these or have another they really like?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horn

are you thinking of just one of the emergency jump boxes? when I worked at wal mart we always used one all the time (cant think of the brand...for some reason thinking black and decker). It worked great but was only $50. Im thinking you want one of the big fancy jump boxes

Car Nut
Member Avatar

Yeah, I want the real McCoy. Every time I go to use a Harbor Freight one it's dead. Time for a real one that lasts. I want a hand carry one. Not the battery truck on wheels. Used to own one of those a few years back. It actually had a huge car battery in the bottom of it.
Edited by Car Nut, Nov 22 2010, 09:20 PM.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

There is only ONE jump box that is worth the materials its made of. ONLY one kind.

Here is how you identify the only GOOD jump box. How do you charge it? a GOOD jump box LITERALLY has a reversed 110v receptacle on the side. IE you "PLUG" an extension cord directly into the box.

anything else is GARBAGE. they are usually $40 to $70 harbour frieght used to have one in red but I don't see it on their website any more so they might not.

why is anything else garbage? 100% guarenteed inevitably you will lose that god damned charging brick it came with and then you have a frelling paperweight.

and off course the jack is UNMARKED (get the polarity wrong and its hosed) and usually a proprietary non standard barrel plug. (though USUALLY they are an M plug)

with the extension cord units you have no charger its BUILT IN. just plug an extension cord into it and your done.

the only ones I will buy. Tired of losing the damned bricks.

every single one that I have seen ALL look the same (they probably ARE all the same and just OEM'd)

they all look like this

Posted Image

You can get it here (just one that I found googling)

http://www.toolking.com/schumacher-ip-125-instant-power-jump-starter-with-12-ah-internal-battery?CAWELAID=534744457

they are all the same.

Charged green charging red LED

a BUTTON and set of LED's to indicate charge (red yellow green)

rounded shape cables over the top 12v socket on one side reversed 110v socket on the other.

THAT is what you want.

ALSO bear in mind its a 12v lead acid battery. THEY SELF DISCHARGE OVER TIME. you really do need to plug them in every couple months to "top them up"

and its really good to "use them" once in a while. plug something in (fan inverter light something) and run it down and recharge it

I have 6 of these. I used to work at radio shack and we sold these one black friday and had many defectives and returns (defectives usually "cracked shell" unit was functionally fine") there disposition was "scrap" ie throw them away. SO manager let me buy them for $5 each. I bought every one.

Still use them daily 6+ years later only ONE has failed me (and I think its the charging circuit that failed so the battery might still be ok)

I use them for everything from jumping cars to running my electric trailer jack on the camper to powering my camera equipment onsite on the field or where there is no easy access power (people walking extension cord a bad idea) to power a light and fan during a power outage (LED of course)

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL gadgets to have handy and bonus these units are very compact compared to many of the seriously oufy units out their.
Edited by nerys, Nov 22 2010, 10:30 PM.

Woodie
Member Avatar

nerys
Nov 22 2010, 10:16 PM
There is only ONE jump box that is worth the materials its made of. ONLY one kind.

A little extreme there, nerys, you're sounding like mwebb with his "only oil on Earth" statements. I think a better description would be "the only one worth owning of the various selection of garbage you can find at Harbor Freight". Remember, there is precious little at Harbor Freight that isn't cheap Chinese junk.

What CAR NUT is talking about is a professional grade version, more than twice the power, a gauge, and I would suspect much better construction.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

Professional or not. TRY to find one with a built in charger so you can just "plug it in" or it also becomes a paperweight when you lose that damned brick :-)

that was my primary point tiss all. I got sick of losing the little bricks. Don't have to say among the stuff at harbour freight. I got mine at radio shack. I just also remember that HF also had a similar unit.

and they are ALL made in china :-)

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Or you could, you know, not lose the brick. Had my cheap (20. at the time) Coleman unit for over 8 years now. Another trick, you can actually label the brick and match label the unit it goes to. I've never had to do this, but I imagine it could be worth 2 pieces of masking tape and some permanent ink marker if your always losing the corresponding parts/pieces.

As a side note, I use mine rather infrequently, I top it up about once a month. When I've needed it, its always worked.
Edited by bogs, Nov 23 2010, 01:19 PM.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

sure easy to say bogs. I have literally 75+ power bricks at my feet (I am not exaggerating) if I were not so embarrassed by my pig stie I call a bedroom I would send you a picture.

Plus it does not matter. all it takes is forgetting it ONE TIME to ruin a day or an event. with these units I can run out to ANY STORE even a dollar store and just by an extension cord (I cut away the plastic on one side so even those cheap 3 way extension plugs will link right in from the dollar store)

its just nice not to have ONE MORE stinking piece of equipment especially when travelling with 4 or 5 of these things. that's 4 or 5 more bricks I have to bring with me and hope I don't lose hope I don't leave behind HOPE they don't burn out etc.. etc.. etc.. Cord get cut of damaged. brick get dropped

whatever. Point is. ITS VERY VERY NICE to have a simple plug in unit. so nice in fact that all other units are (to me personally) garbage.

you should SEE the bag of bricks I have to bring with me when I goto Naram. nuts. anything I can do to reduce that is a godsend :-)

Car Nut
Member Avatar

This is the same type that I ordered off Ebay. Didn't want to spend that much but I was tired of the junk ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4712.m2000054&item=130437696448&viewitem=

2200 peak amps, 330 cranking amps, built in charger. Also has a digital readout of volts output of car's charging system while leads are connected. Almost went for the Jump N Carry 660 box. A little cheaper. Also lighter, which I probably would have liked. Also never had a problem with any Schumacher product I ever used, so I went with a known good thing.
Edited by Car Nut, Nov 27 2010, 08:36 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply