Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Replacing door pins/bushings; How To
Topic Started: Nov 14 2010, 11:08 PM (4,837 Views)
Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

A lot of us have a Geo Metro with sagging doors. The problem is that nobody makes these replacement door hinge and bushing kits for the Metro. From the info learned on this board, I found out door pin kits for a 1991 Nissan Pathfinder work perfectly in 1989-1994 models. Not sure if 95-2001 models have the same pins. I started by removing the pin from the door stop..........

Posted Image

Now use a pick to remove the "e" clips from the original pins.............

Posted Image

Use an assistant or a floor jack to keep the door level for the next steps...........

Posted Image

Using various screwdrivers, punches, and hammers, drive the old pins out of the bushings taking note of the stress on the door. This may take some persuasion getting them out..........

Posted Image

Once the pins are out, the door can be dropped. You can unplug the wiring or leave it intact if you have room...........

Posted Image

Remove the old bushings with a hammer and screwdriver.............

Posted Image

Carefully install the new bushings supplied in the kit (2 kits per door) and make sure they seat.........

Posted Image

Get the door lined back up and install the new pins. The replacement pins are much longer, but still work well for this application............

Posted Image

No more slamming the door shut :thumb
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Nice write up :thumb
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

undgsx-R
Member Avatar
Self Certified Garage Mechanic

Excellent!

snowfish
Member Avatar
Basic GearHead

Interesting. :hmm I was going to unbolt the hinge from the door to gain access to the pin.

Did you have help? Or do it by yourself? (I need to fly solo most of the time)

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

I did it by myself, but ended up dropping the door once :smackface

I highly suggest a helper to remove and re-install the door.

metro-mike
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Will this work on all Metro's. Thanks.......

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

I am not 100% sure if the 1995+ models has the same pins.

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

You got that part number for the bushings? If I can run it down I will see if they will work on my 95.

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

snowfish, you can make a helper out of 2x4's. This is how we used to support doors and things when I worked in carpentry. Build at least 4 L shaped pieces , as pictured below:
Posted Image

Set them together the way the picture shows, adjust them to the width of the object your trying to hold upright, then clamp them together. Don't be stingy on the length of the leg on the floor, as this is what provides your lateral steadiness.

In the case of the car door, either use the floor jack to hold it height wise, or screw 2 scraps to the uprights at door level, and your good to go :)

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

Ask for '92 pathfinder pins, its a doorman product, most auto places have them in stock. It does work in the later body style as well. I put a set in my 99 4 door.

Spock
Member Avatar
Live Long and Prosper.

Very cool post, JM
Thank you!

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Napas part number and cost is less than 8 dollars.

Posted Image

Rooy

Also Dorman 38397.

They appear to have gone way up in price. $14 at AutoZone and $10 at Advance Auto.

They used to be $5 at Advance just a couple months ago.

I got mine from RockAuto. They're currently $3.98 each. $2.66 to ship four of them to me.

Potter
Member Avatar
Col. Potter

boy i wish who ever owned Taylor would have seen this... they took the hinge off and welded it where they wanted it... it shuts straight...just REALLY tight gap up front.

Good write up.. ill keep this in mind in case Sophias ever go bad... oh and thanks engine doc for the Part Number

econoboxer
Member Avatar
I am the one on the left.

recommendations being taken for replacing lower LH door hinge, not the pin, as the metal has elongated... thanks

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply