Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ignition switch removal
Topic Started: Sep 24 2010, 09:28 PM (3,043 Views)
GA Geo

Same old thing, my key is broken off so I drove it to a locksmith today and he couldn't remove the broken piece. He told me to remove the whole switch and bring it to him in the A.M. I did a search but I couldn't find anything on the removal of a first gen switch. Can someone point me in the right direction. I have to get this thing out tonight.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jellybean

Take off the plastic covers around the column sometimes it helps to loosen the entire column from the dash. when you have the ignition switch exposed you will see two cone shaped bolt heads that i use a chisel to remove.
the chisel must be small enough to fit in the recess start first by just making a mark across the bolt head after you have a purchase start driving in a cc rotation you have to hold your mouth just right but it has worked every time for me.

on the way back i just use a standard bolt

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Mitchell online says a 3/8 drill or larger to drill out the studs. Thats always a fun job! If you are going to remove the switch then forget the locksmith and just replace the switch with a new one.

Well after looking at the price of them jewels for a geo, scratch that last comment! $179 Before I spent that, I would tap into that job and mount me a generic starter switch.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=ECHKS6747_0195968782&An=599001+101992+50029+2029012

GA Geo

I got it. Thanks. I never would have guessed those were bolts. I thought they were pressed pins. Every thing else was pretty easy.

The only reason I'm doing the locksmith thing is because all the other locks use the same key and I didn't want to buy or change them all.

Thanks guys - You rock :rocker

Mr Murf 59
Member Avatar

The thing you removed was the tumblers. Not the switch. That is held into the back side of the tumbles with a phillips screw, and has wires coming out off the back side. When you go back in. Take pics and post a how to maybe?

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Napa didnt show just the lock cylinder but the lock cylinder and switch assembly.

PRT
[ *  * ]
Hi Guys,
You may not need to do anything except cut off your other keys. when I bought my vert I said the key looked odd, and the prior owner said they had broken the key off in the ignition and the locksmith said that if the key worked in the door locks then it was unnecessary to tear it all apart. they just cut the other key off to match and it all works fine.

OK its not showroom fresh, and looks a bit odd but hey think of it as an obscure security feature.

Dave

Talonsx2
[ *  * ]
I used a pair of vise grips :rocker and I thinks that would be faster :smackface than a hammering away at the thing and trying to make sure ur mouth is in the right position... :thumb

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

I've got to do this too, half a key stuck in my lock and locksmith couldn't get it out... I'm going to pull the tumbler and take it out manually, the other half a key sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, too much trouble to leave it. Though I've really considered switching to a push button start, and just blank off the ignition with a plate :)

idmetro
Member Avatar

Not as bad as advertised above. The bolts that hold the cylinder assembly are designed to break their heads off when installed (theft deterrent - yes I agree very ineffective) simply take a sharp chisel (or a dremel) and cut a slot in the top of each bolt so you can get a screwdriver in them to unscrew them. You may need to use the chisel to get the bolt started unscrewing then switch to the screwdriver. Unscrew the rotary switch from the back of the tumbler, be careful those darn screws are tiny and will want to disappear from sight as soona s they are loose. Take the assembly to the locksmith where it can be disassembled on the bench and returned to operating condition. You definitely want to save the bolts for reinstallation afterwards, they have very funky skinny heads and an ordinary bolt will not fit in that space. The slots you cut with a chisel or a dremel will make reinstallation a snap. This is also your opportunity to get the assembly rekeyed (if it had been changed in the past) so you are back to a single key to operate both teh door locks and the ignition. Good Luck
Edited by idmetro, May 2 2011, 10:39 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply