Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Manual transmission fluid
Topic Started: May 28 2010, 09:10 PM (7,471 Views)
Murf 59
Member Avatar

It may be really tight. If so, try a little heat. Fill it till it runs out that hole.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Mr Murf 59
Aug 1 2010, 06:43 AM
It may be really tight. If so, try a little heat. Fill it till it runs out that hole.
That's what she said.

superduty5.9
Member Avatar
Metro Defender

Coche Blanco
Aug 1 2010, 08:12 AM
Mr Murf 59
Aug 1 2010, 06:43 AM
That's what she said.
:D

WJK
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
mcmancuso
May 28 2010, 10:28 PM
Thats the good stuff :) Posted Image
I have been using 5W30 regular oil in my Geo, should I be changing it over to a 0W30 Synthetic oil on my next oil change? If so do I need to do a flush before putting in the new oil? I did a seafoam 200 miles prior to my last oil change.

I am also searching on how to change the Tranny fluid, so far have only found what I need to use not the how too's.

WJK
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, found out how to drain and fill the transmission. Do I need to flush it with something when I change the fluid and how?
Now I am super confused, I dug out the owners manual for my 93 Geo Metro 3/1.0 5spd. In the book it says "manual transaxle to use (GL-5 Gear Oil) 2.5 gt. (2.4L)
Somewhere else in here (can't find it now) someone had mentioned they were to use as per GM Synchromesh GL-5 on their 93. (is GL-5 Gear Oil and Synchromesh GL-5 the same thing?)
I know that as time passes products are improved on and changes made, which is the way to go

Woodie
Member Avatar

No flush needed for the engine or the transmission.

5W-30 is recommended, 0W-30 is a newer product that acts exactly the same except it is a bit thinner when cold. Gets around inside the engine faster when first started and should give 1/100 mpg improvement in gas mileage. Synthetic is better than regular, but is also much more expensive, your choice. Nothing wrong with the regular oil, synthetic's main advantage is that it lasts longer.

You can find three different gear lube recommendations in the Metro manuals, no one knows why they can't get their act together there. Experience of thousands of Suzuki/Metro owners is that Pennsoil Synchromesh works best. It also is thinner for better mileage and doesn't stink like gear lube does.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Yeah gear oil smells bad. Everyone really likes the SM. I run 30w motor oil in my trans. The SM has friction modifiers for a lined sync in some of the truck units. I think its over priced for what you get. There has been huge debates over this same topic here. Many times. Woodie is right. No flush needed. But it is a good idea to change the fluid out when its hot. Just after you turn the engine off. It has all the particals floating in it. When you drain it hot. They don't have a chance to settle. And changing it out about every 12k or so is a good thing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply