Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
REPLACEMENT DOOR HINGE BUSHINGS/PINS!; They exist!!!
Topic Started: May 19 2010, 10:04 PM (5,755 Views)
Geodude
Member Avatar
Young Metro Lover
[ *  * ]
That was an elaborate gallery enginedoctorgeo when I followed the link you posted. Most of it looked above and beyond labor (I don't have a a lathe lol) for what I could hope to accomplish. Look forward to mcmancuso's picture post.

Yea I have a sagging door and my driver side lock doesn't work. I want to fix both asap. Mainly the lock just so it's securely closed while driving or for a potential accident. Thx crew~
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moon_Doggy
[ *  * ]
awesome find also these are $4.01 at Rock Auto look for DORMAN Part # 38397 :type

geogonfa
Member Avatar

been doing this for years ..but instead been using 94 pathfinder hinge pins- Dorman - Help Door Hinge Pin and Bushing Kit

Part No. 38397 $ 4.95 @ Advance Auto parts... I've never had to pull the door ...just the pin and the part of the hinge attached to the door so u could replace the bushings...support the door with a floor jack...

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

geogonfa
Sep 7 2010, 08:37 PM
been doing this for years ..but instead been using 94 pathfinder hinge pins- Dorman - Help Door Hinge Pin and Bushing Kit

Part No. 38397 $ 4.95 @ Advance Auto parts... I've never had to pull the door ...just the pin and the part of the hinge attached to the door so u could replace the bushings...support the door with a floor jack...
I'd like to get mine fixed now too. Can you tell me:
- Do both hinges need to be fixed per side? Or is the top or bottom predominantly the problem?
- Can this be done only by pulling the pin ? Or does the hinge have to be unbolted from the door too?

Thanks,
Dave

Moon_Doggy
[ *  * ]
JellyBeanDriver
Sep 7 2010, 10:35 PM
geogonfa
Sep 7 2010, 08:37 PM

I'd like to get mine fixed now too. Can you tell me:
- Do both hinges need to be fixed per side? Or is the top or bottom predominantly the problem?
- Can this be done only by pulling the pin ? Or does the hinge have to be unbolted from the door too?

Thanks,
Dave
yea you need to fix both, and if all you want to do is replace the pin then yea don't have to take the door off but to get to the bushings the door has to come off so its better to just unbolt the hinges.

also getting them at Advance Auto is the same as rock auto+shipping :D
Edited by Moon_Doggy, Sep 8 2010, 03:15 PM.

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

Moon_Doggy
Sep 8 2010, 03:11 PM
yea you need to fix both, and if all you want to do is replace the pin then yea don't have to take the door off but to get to the bushings the door has to come off so its better to just unbolt the hinges.

also getting them at Advance Auto is the same as rock auto+shipping :D
Thanks much!
No Advance auto out here though (So. Cal).

Advance wants $8.95 to ship 4 qty :(
Edited by JellyBeanDriver, Sep 8 2010, 06:58 PM.

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

Received my bushings and pins from RockAuto. About to head out and see what I can accomplish today.

Edit:
Done! Did the driver's door. Put in new bushings but reused the original pins as they didn't show any wear.
Edited by JellyBeanDriver, Sep 11 2010, 08:23 PM.

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

No pics ? :)

obaja
Member Avatar
Diesel Power

whats with these guys and no pics?

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Speaking of which, where are yours :lol We demand details dag-nabbit! Video ! Still shots! GIMME GIMme Gimme :popcorn

captain1.0

Well since these bushing appear to be doing the trick I suppose I will do mine next week maybe if I can locate the parts locally. Glad someone found something that would work. I tried a few months ago when I had mine apart but never found any bushings suffient to work.

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

Sorry about the 'no pics' part. I'll elaborate on the task though.

- opened door wide, remove the pin from that thing that keeps the door open, or from opening too far
- opened door a bit wider, put a jack under the outer lip
- removed e-clip from pin, tapped out pin (used a 3/8" socket extension as a drift)
- unbolted hinge from the door
- cleaned up the hinge left behind on the car (lots of dried up grease and grit on mine)
- tapped out bushings from the hinge portion I removed
- wire brushed all the old grease and grit out
- squeezed in the new bushings using a vice. (that center tube is plastic that the bushing press into)
- wire wheeled the original pin
- lubed it up with essentially chain oil (Phil's Tenacious oil)
- fitted the hinge back in place, tapped in the original pin, put the e-clip on.
- put the bolts back into door and tightened it up.
- repeat for the other hinge.

The holes in the hinge are bigger than the bolts so there's room to 'adjust' the door (which is what I didn't want to have to do). Fortunately the adjustability here is just whether the door at the hinge end is towards the center of the car or not. I tried to tighten it up so I was covering over the existing marks from before.

Note that the hinge needs to go back together in the right direction - you can put it back on 2 ways. I had to look at passenger side hinge to note which way it went (it's the same way as the other hinge on the driver's door).

Oh, also the bushing gets squeezed down a bit during assembly. The pin doesn't just drop in afterwards but it isn't so tight it's binding in operation though it sure feels like it should when you're putting the pin back in.
Edited by JellyBeanDriver, Sep 12 2010, 12:52 PM.

hotrodfeguy
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So Doorman Part No. 38397 does the trick on our geo metro doors.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

hotrodfeguy
Oct 17 2012, 07:41 PM
So Doorman Part No. 38397 does the trick on our geo metro doors.
You're about two years too late. :(

Car Nut
Member Avatar

Did not work well for my 94. Too long :banghead
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Buyer/Seller Feedback & Product Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply