Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Firing Order; Need Firing Order Diagram
Topic Started: May 3 2010, 07:56 AM (4,649 Views)
mcutlass1969
[ *  *  * ]
Gang
Hey just working on my sons 1994 Geo Metro XFI yesturday. I had to put a new valve cover gasket on as well as replace the ring on the distributer. I had marked everything pretty close on the distributer to make sure i put it all back together right. Once done i cleaned off the engine then fired it up to check for leaks. the car started fine but idled rough. First thoughts was i had the timing off a bit and retimed it, but still a little rough on the idle. It got late in the day so i called it quits thinking i probably got the ditro a bit wet. I am going to give a try again tonight but thinking i might be a tooth off on the ditro. I looked up on the internet the firing order 1-3-2 counter clockwise but no pics to assist me. I was thinking that i would turn the motor over to Top Dead Center on number 1 and then go from there. So if anyone has the diagram that would be great.

Mike
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

I'm not positive on the firing order, but I did replace Unicron7's Distributor o-ring Saturday and put the #2 and #3 wires in the wrong spots. His idled rough and wouldn't take off.

Maybe this is what you did? Looking at the distributor from the driver's side, the top post is #1, going clockwise the next one is #2 and the bottom one is #3. Try that first, maybe it was something that simple... :)

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Well, there are two parts to timing an engine, of course, check both (although you already sound like your ahead enough on the curve to do so) so the link for the distributor timing [which you didn't ask for] is ->here<-.

->This<- thread has the best explanation of both types of timing I know of starting about posts #6

Now for the part you actually asked for [ heh heh ] the firing order. Keep in mind this is likely from Chiltons manual and may (or may not) be off, but using Jittneys link to the ->power library<- and the password pl2494xxxxxxxx , I came across this as the actual firing diagram:
Firing order pdf

Hope that helps.

Woodie
Member Avatar

That diagram is off, easy to spot some sort of problem as the diagram and title say opposite things. Drawing shows 1-2-3, title is 1-3-2. #1 is at the top, #2 is back toward the driver's seat, and #3 is down and toward the front.

Distributor only goes in one way, if you didn't mess with the timing belt, that can't be wrong.

Could be a spark plug wire failed, sometimes they're brittle and just moving them can break them.

Edited by Woodie, May 4 2010, 03:45 AM.

bogs
Member Avatar

Woodie
May 3 2010, 04:52 PM
That diagram is off, easy to spot some sort of problem as the diagram and title say opposite things.
Please send any corrections to the manual maker. Thank you for your cooperation :)

bogs
Member Avatar

Woodie
That diagram is off, easy to spot some sort of problem as the diagram and title say opposite things. Drawing shows 1-2-3, title is 1-3-2. #1 is at the top, #2 is back toward the driver's seat, and #3 is down and toward the front.

You know Woodie, after you said that, I actually had to go back and look and I think its possible the drugs your on may be better than the ones I am on !
Take another look at that image:
Posted Image
The distributor is rotating counter clockwise ? Check
The points on the dist. are (1) - (3) - (2) as the title above the picture suggests. 1 is closest to the block, 3 is in the drivers side (top right next to the rotational arrow), 2 is at the bottom. This on the 3 cyl.

Now, the firing order may well BE wrong, but it isn't because the diagram and title don't match up, can I have the name of your pharmacist ?

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

Woodie
Distributor only goes in one way, if you didn't mess with the timing belt, that can't be wrong.
This is not 100% true.
With enough wear on the cam slot and the distributor key,
You can put it in 180* out.
The car will run,
Poorly. Then,
Pop and back fire when you try to give her gas.
Ask me how I know.

;)

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

bogs
May 4 2010, 09:37 AM
The points on the dist. are (1) - (3) - (2) as the title above the picture suggests. 1 is closest to the block, 3 is in the drivers side (top right next to the rotational arrow), 2 is at the bottom. This on the 3 cyl.

Now, the firing order may well BE wrong, but it isn't because the diagram and title don't match up...
This is correct.

bogs
Member Avatar

Which is correct? That the picture accurately reflects the title, that the firing order is wrong, or that Woodie has a better druggist than I do?

bogs
Member Avatar

You know what, Woodie, I think my drugs are better, your right, the firing order was wrong but it was my interpretation of this:
Woodie

#1 is at the top, #2 is back toward the driver's seat, and #3 is down and toward the front.
that led me astray. What your *actually * saying is that in the diagram, they have 3 and 2 reversed, whilst what I was reading was that the picture showed 2 by the drivers side in the image :x I get it now :x

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

bogs
May 4 2010, 01:06 PM
Which is correct? That the picture accurately reflects the title, that the firing order is wrong, or that Woodie has a better druggist than I do?
What I meant was, you both need to hand over the meds to me and let me decide which is better! JK

Woodie
Member Avatar

My problem is LACK of drugs, been Guinness only for about ten years now. Aching for some nice painkillers.

When I said 1 at top, 2 toward driver, 3 down and front, I meant that is way it actually is. The distributor part of that drawing is wrong.

bogs
Member Avatar

Which I finally figured out. Talk about your classic 'whose on first' type conversation ! Lemme ask you this, if you switched 3 and 2 on the distributor in the picture, would it then be correct? is the actual 1-3-2 firing order in fact the correct firing order?

mcutlass1969
[ *  *  * ]
Guys Thank you so much for your input. Initially i didn't pull the wires off the distro but just marked the cap and then removed it from the distro. It rained last night but planning to go repull the distro tonight and give it a try. I also appreciated the other notes on the plug wires. the car came from AZ and i am not sure how old the wires are but it might be good to just change as well as the plugs to get a good base to start from. I also appreciate the Meds humor. We have to be on them to work on cars. LOL!

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

Before you spend money on wires (they seem to be the most expensive part of a tune-up) give the wires a continuity/resistance check. Should only take 5 minutes to check and could save you $$$.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply