Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Low RPM Surging
Topic Started: Jan 17 2010, 10:26 PM (691 Views)
ryankrizan
[ *  * ]
Hey guys, got another technical question for you. The car was running great. I've got most of the bugs worked out. I sprayed some degreaser on the engine so I can monitor for oil leaks and whatnot, and washed it off with my pressure washer, taking care and not directly spraying any electrical connections. I gave the car several hours to dry.

The car starts up just fine, idles just fine, but when I try to give it any throttle, the engine RPM will bounce, just like it's hitting a governor. However, this happens anytime I give it some throttle.

The car is also not throwing any error codes. I did start checking sensors and such. What do you guys think may have gone wrong? Obviously, I must have gotten water in somewhere, but anyone have an idea of what would be causing this?

Thanks again!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

for those reading this ,
here is a good example of
WHY
you should never use a pressure washer on an engine in a car .

never .
every one knows better yet .....
every once and while somebody feels the need to do it anyway .
do not do it .
just don't .
===================================
anyway
first
disconnect TPS MAP CMP which is the rpm sensor at the distributor ....
make sure there is no water or whatever in the connectors

none , soak the connectors with contact cleaner or penetrating oil and reassemble
did ja get lucky ?
is it ok now ?
or choice C

no ?

locate your DVOM
connect to the 02 sensor signal , black wire .

set DVOM to 0 to 1 volt scale or as close as you have on the meter
DC volts

tell me what you measure at idle and 2k rpm
ready
begin
==============================
do not use the spray on engine degreaser stuff either ,
it is mostly hydrocarbons , like kerosene ....
which ends up on the ground and in your drinking water .
assuming it does not frak your harness .

all it will do is poison your self and your family and those who drink from the aquifer you are above .
there is no good or safe reason to use it.

Edited by mwebb, Jan 18 2010, 12:11 AM.

StevieC
Member Avatar

This is like an episode of House...

obaja
Member Avatar
Diesel Power

on a side note, if anyone wants to wash there engine it is perfectly fine. First before you spray anything on it get some plastic bags and cover the alternator, distributor,coil.... etc basic electronic components. then spray your degreaser(or as mwebb says, dont spray any) and wash away with a GARDEN HOSE not a pressure washer. all that pressure gets in all kinds of electrical connectors and isn't good. This is also a good time to wash the top of your battery from the acid that escapes during normal operation.

Very important to let everything dry for a little while before driving it or if water did get into a connector it could fry something upon startup.

If degreaser is used you will smell the chemicals from the degreaser for a week straight inside your cab while driving as it burns off the engine. :x Listen to mwebb about degreaser.
Edited by obaja, Jan 18 2010, 12:15 AM.

ryankrizan
[ *  * ]
obaja
Jan 18 2010, 12:11 AM
on a side note, if anyone wants to wash there engine it is perfectly fine. First before you spray anything on it get some plastic bags and cover the alternator, distributor,coil.... etc basic electronic components. then spray your degreaser(or as mwebb says, dont spray any) and wash away with a GARDEN HOSE not a pressure washer. all that pressure gets in all kinds of electrical connectors and isn't good. This is also a good time to wash the top of your battery from the acid that escapes during normal operation.

Very important to let everything dry for a little while before driving it or if water did get into a connector it could fry something upon startup.

If degreaser is used you will smell the chemicals from the degreaser for a week straight inside your cab while driving as it burns off the engine. :x Listen to mwebb about degreaser.
I actually did use a garden hose, not a pressure washer. I just used one of those sprayers that make a wide fan out of the nozzle is all. I clean engines all the time this way. Never had an issue.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Might straighten itself up in a couple of days.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ryankrizan
[ *  * ]
TPS had moisture in the plug. All is well.

wwelder
[ *  * ]
I've never heard of NOT washing the engine before. We have a fleet of eighty something vehicles and they get hosed at every service and have for the last 21 years.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply