Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Picked up another Metro
Topic Started: Jan 13 2010, 07:43 PM (1,173 Views)
StevieC
Member Avatar

Hey guys.

Haven't been around much as the gear box finally gave way in the 4 cyl Metro. I was looking toward buying another from Sam, but just don't have the money right now - plus there's a host of other problems with it.

Sadly the van just recently gave up also. I had no choice but to find another vehicle. Then, on craigslist, I found a Geo Metro for $100 with a 3 cylinder and manual transmission.

Needless to say, I bought it. It's in better condition than my 4 cylinder, originally I was going to take parts off it but now I think I may just get it on the road.

Another plus - the head light circuitry works!! I've just cut the wires and started to wire in some relays... freaking sweet! It also has a radio antenna and the original radio. I'm very excited!

Other things I've noticed about it:

* The engine works, it has a slight tap. I had to have my friend's truck pull it and it started up in 3rd. It was very noisy, but I don't think it's been running for a while.
* The starter doesn't work. Unsure as yet if the starter is at fault or something else. However I did notice a suspicious wire hanging behind the engine that comes directly from the battery's positive feed (I think!). Has a ring connector on the end?
* It's a nice sunny sky shade of blue.

Tomorrow I'll be taking it to my friend's house to get it up in the air. We'll be welding any bad spots hopefully, and getting it road worthy.

Pics soon!

Steve.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

StevieC
Member Avatar

Oh - one more thing, the PTC fuse was blown. What does this power?

Fireball 89
Member Avatar
2.4 Cylinders of Determination

StevieC-

Congratulations on your find. However, I see the symptoms of Geo Metro, pretty soon you'll be trying to cubbyhole parts cars/project cars in your yard. It always starts small, "Hey, it's only a $100 and it's in better condition than my other 4 Geo Metros...".

Edward
Edited by Fireball 89, Jan 13 2010, 10:23 PM.

StevieC
Member Avatar

LOL. I hope not. The wife is already complaining about the vehicles there... we only have 3!!! Granted, they are all broken... but I'm not in denial

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

StevieC
Jan 13 2010, 07:43 PM
* The starter doesn't work. Unsure as yet if the starter is at fault or something else. However I did notice a suspicious wire hanging behind the engine that comes directly from the battery's positive feed (I think!). Has a ring connector on the end?
Congratulations! :rocker

Is the solenoid hooked up? There is a ring connector that goes to the post of the Solenoid on the starter.

What year is this puppy?

Need a compression test real soon. :thumb

PTC is Positive Temperature Coefficient, check the wiring under the fuse box to see if it's OK.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Woodie
Member Avatar

First thing you need to do is address that dangling wire near the starter. That's the only thing in the entire car that is NOT FUSED. If it happens to touch metal it will short the battery directly to ground and become an arc welder. Not only will the car cease running, it may very well cease to exist in a fiery blaze.

PTC, I imagine, stands for PowerTrain Control, but ignore that as it is horribly misnamed. The only thing that fuse does is run the EFE, Early Fuel Evaporation heater. This heater is a plate, sandwiched between the throttle body and the intake manifold, that heats up the incoming air/fuel charge for better mixing when the engine is cold. Either the heater itself is shorted, or the gasket below it has gone bad, allowing the heater circuit to short to ground. Remove it completely from the throttle body and the manifold to test it before buying a new one, replacement gaskets will be under ten dollars. It's $268 from the discount dealer I use and I doubt you're going to find it anywhere but the dealer. For right now, if the car cold starts, I wouldn't worry about it.

StevieC
Member Avatar

I have been wondering if it's to the solenoid, I noticed it last night when it was getting dark out. Luckily I'll be getting the car up in the air tonight so I can walk beneath it. I will check it then.

If that heater plate is dead, can I just exchange it for the one on my 4 cylinder?

StevieC
Member Avatar

This reply was in a wrong thread. Stupid me!
Edited by StevieC, Jan 14 2010, 12:39 PM.

StevieC
Member Avatar

Posted Image

This is a picture of the dangling connector. :D (note: inside the cover is a ring type connector)

Does it look like it belongs to the solenoid?
Edited by StevieC, Jan 14 2010, 12:40 PM.

Mr Murf 59
Member Avatar

It is not a real clear pic. On mine the little wire on the solinoid uses a flat slice on blade. congrats on the new Metro

StevieC
Member Avatar

Pretty sure it's the cable to the starter. We checked down there and there isn't even a starter on the engine!!! lol

So tomorrow we will be removing the starter from the 4 cylinder and sticking it to the 3 cylinder. I've also just about finished rewiring my headlights with relays. Oh boy are they bright!

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Congrats on the find :thumb No starter connected :hmm I wonder if there is a story for that one :lol

StevieC
Member Avatar

No doubt there is. It doesn't have an accessory belt. My guess is one day it wouldn't start, the starter clicked and then began the great surgery to remove the starter. Had they only charged the battery...

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Yep, to bad. ^o)
Lots of reasons for shorting the electronics.... I just recharged the battery on the Wife's '96 and it's been great since... B-)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

Glad you seem to have found the problem. I can see it now. He looks down the motor and .... huh.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply