Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How To - Fixing headlights; Repairing electrical circuit
Topic Started: Nov 26 2009, 10:14 AM (44,212 Views)
Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

One common issue that the Metro has is the headlights not working. If you start up your Metro equipped with Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) the lights normally come on at a lower brightness level. If you turn on the headlight switch and then pull up the parking brake lever, they should stay on. If not, then you need to fix this. Another complaint from users is that the high beams won't stay on. This is also the same issue. What happens is the circuit for the headlamps gets hot and ends up melting at the fuse box under the dash. By removing the fuse box, you should be able to see the problem.........

Posted Image

In order to fix this, you can either replace the fuse box and the turn signal/headlamp switch assembly or you can simply bypass the fuse box connection to get them working. On the connector from the switch, you will find the burnt connector and the wire is white with a black stripe. You need to find the connector on the other side of the box and locate the brown wire with a yellow stripe. Properly splice these wires together and you should be set........

Posted Image

Thanks to Mr Pink for the images.

Here is a wiring diagram to help you if you need it. To see the image full size, right click on the image and "View Image" or "Save Image" so you can see it...........

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fireball 89
Member Avatar
2.4 Cylinders of Determination

Thank you Johnny Mullet-

This (images) will help a whole lot.

Edward

Carpet ResQ
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
My headlights are quite strange. The drivers side is DRL only no matter what the switch position and the passenger side is on low all the time and when the switch is on you get high beam and low beam. I already checked the fuse block for the usual problems but it seems OK.

ahutson98
[ *  * ]
Thank you Jonny Mullet! My headlights didn't work but thanks to your excellent troubleshooting trick and butt-joint repair I'm back in business. You are the man!
Al

fusion505
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I went to the grocery store and when I started up my car I saw that I had no headlights. Even though the trip home was only a mile, every single bum, pedestrian, and oncoming traffic person was intent to tell me that my headlights didn't work. Kinda embarrassing when a bum is giving you advice...

I have to take an 850 mile road trip in 6 days, so hopefully I get some replies soon. Even if I have to take the trip with no headlights, I'll still be interested in fixing this problem...
So I checked out my fuse box and I totally found the burned out connector you were talking about. I might be reading your text incorrectly, but the wires seem to be colored differently than you described.

I have a 1993 metro 3cyl 1.0L

Here's some pictures (sorry about the poor lighting)
Please anonymous, bless me with your knowledge

It's obvious that the black/brown wire connection is burned to shit. The fuse box side of the connection is dirty, but it looks like it would still work if I had a new plug. I'm just totally confused because your post didn't mention anything about a black/brown wire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

Your car is from a different generation than mine or Jonny's, so the color of the wires are most likely different. If you don't have a service repair manual for your car, then you'll need to look around on either here or teamswift.net for a headlight wiring diagram for '92--'94 metros.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

You could probably do a manual tracing to see which wire the burnt wire in the connector goes to. Once I have the info for the older models, I can update this thread to cover all.

Omar84
[ *  * ]
Ok I need some advice.. I pigtailed the white and black wire to the brown and yellow wire and it didn't change anything.. My problem is the day lights are the only ones that work... And the high beams Work but only if you hold the switch back.. You can't set it in the on position... I thought Johnny had the answer for me cause his pics matched my car burned connectors and all.. But now I don't know what to do

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Was your connector burned? You might have a bad headlight switch.

geojames
Member Avatar
rice

i had the same problem with mine so just in case i hooked the wires up the way the picture shows and then i hooked the loose ends together and for some reason when i did that everything started working don't know why but haven't had a problem since

Omar84
[ *  * ]
Yeah the connectors were burned but not as bad as your pic. The prong was still intact though.. Yeah I guess the switch is next

Omar84
[ *  * ]
Oh and I noticed that there is a blue 15 fuse that keeps blowin. Left side second one down on the fuse panel

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

If it keeps blowing, I'd start checking for shorts in the circuit :dunno sounds logical though.

Omar84
[ *  * ]
Ok the previous owner did replace the radio.. With a cd player and he must of messed up cause the am fm doesn't work.. Don't know if that could be related or not. Oh and I called around for the switch and they want between 250 and 340 dollars.. Sound right.. And is this a technical job.. will the bypass I did affect my job replacing the switch.

Omar84
[ *  * ]
Oh yeah I'd like to thank everybody here.. It's sites like these that really help people. And I appreciate all the advice.. And info.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply