Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to tell if you have orignal engine / transmission
Topic Started: Aug 27 2009, 08:31 AM (3,327 Views)
FlyingTortoise
Member Avatar

Just bought my '94 Geo Metro XFi a few months ago and I've been wondering if there is way to tell if it has the original XFi motor and tranny or if it's been switched with non-XFi parts?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Woodie
Member Avatar

No easy way like you would expect, like reading the serial #s off the case or anything. If you put a tachometer on it, you can check the rpms at speed and figure out the transmission. Engine needs to be disassembled to check for two ring pistons but the most important difference is the cam shape, and the cam is right on top, might be able to measure it by just taking the valve cover off.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

An XFI has 2 piston rings instead of three and the cam and ECU are different like Woodie stated. The only way to know for sure would be a teardown.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I think the most important part of the XFi is the transmission, so I would do an RPM vs speed test and figure that out.

wikityler
Member Avatar
Some say...

If the 10th character in your VIN number matches the letter in the trans and engine serial numbers, they are at least from the same year. If everything is the same year it's more likely they are the original.

FlyingTortoise
Member Avatar

wikityler
Aug 28 2009, 08:05 PM
If the 10th character in your VIN number matches the letter in the trans and engine serial numbers, they are at least from the same year. If everything is the same year it's more likely they are the original.
My engine # is G10R102773
My transmission # is P124941
Tenth Digit in my VIN is R for '94

So it looks like my engine is the same year, by my transmission is P for '93. Not Original?

So not even the dealer can look up an engine or transmission serial number and tell you what you got or print out a build sheet that has the orignal engine and transmission serial nubmer?

FlyingTortoise
Member Avatar

In the FSM it metions Federal Vehicle Theft Prevention Standard, that Federal law requires General Motors to label certain parts, on selected vehicles, with the vehicle identification nubmer (VIN).....The anti-theft label found on some major sheet metal, engines and transaxles...

Has anyone seen these anti-theft labels anywhere?

If I could find one on my engine or transmission, then I should be able to tell if it was original.

FlyingTortoise
Member Avatar

FlyingTortoise
Aug 31 2009, 12:26 PM
wikityler
Aug 28 2009, 08:05 PM
My engine # is G10R102773
My transmission # is P124941
Tenth Digit in my VIN is R for '94

So it looks like my engine is the same year, by my transmission is P for '93. Not Original?

So not even the dealer can look up an engine or transmission serial number and tell you what you got or print out a build sheet that has the orignal engine and transmission serial nubmer?
Since my transmission has a P in it, meaning it's a '93 model year, does that mean that there is no way it could be the original transmission for my '94 Geo Metro XFi?

wikityler
Member Avatar
Some say...

Well the trans isn't original, but that doesn't mean it's not from and XFI. The only way to tell would be to calculate the gear ratios.

I don't think the geo metro is one of the 'selected' vehicles with the VIN on the engine/trans. It is stamped into the floor under the carpet on the passenger side though.

For future reference:
A 1980
B 1981
C 1982
D 1983
E 1984
F 1985
G 1986
H 1987
J 1988
K 1989
L 1990
M 1991
N 1992
P 1993
R 1994
S 1995
T 1996
V 1997
W 1998
Y 2000
1 2001
2 2002
3 2003
4 2004
5 2005
6 2006
7 2007
8 2008
9 2009
(according to teamswift this applies to all US cars made post '80)
Edited by wikityler, Sep 4 2009, 07:47 PM.

FlyingTortoise
Member Avatar

If I take off the vavle cover and take a picture of the camshalf and post it here would you guys be able to tell if it's an XFi engine or at least an XFi cam?

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

Most likely not by looking at the cam, but we would be able to tell you by looking at the piston ;)

Mr Murf 59
Member Avatar

I am not sure that I don't have some lit. at home that will tell us how to ident. the trans my counting teeth. I will check when I get home. I also used to run into stange problems with units. The car was made in this year but we put this trans in it. Because we still had them on hand. It is a hassle and always has been. But that it not to say someone has not done a trans swap too.

FlyingTortoise
Member Avatar

Mr Murf 59
Sep 9 2009, 03:22 PM
I am not sure that I don't have some lit. at home that will tell us how to ident. the trans my counting teeth. I will check when I get home. I also used to run into stange problems with units. The car was made in this year but we put this trans in it. Because we still had them on hand. It is a hassle and always has been. But that it not to say someone has not done a trans swap too.
Are you saying that it could be the orginal transmission, even though the the P in the serial indicates a '93 Model Year transmission?

Thanks for the help.

FlyingTortoise
Member Avatar

starscream5000
Sep 9 2009, 12:52 PM
Most likely not by looking at the cam, but we would be able to tell you by looking at the piston ;)
Any easy way to get a look at the piston?

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

FlyingTortoise
Sep 9 2009, 06:35 PM
starscream5000
Sep 9 2009, 12:52 PM
Any easy way to get a look at the piston?
Not really :'(

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply